Loren Fishman on Yoga as Medical Treatment (#43)
In over two decades of practice, Dr. Loren Fishman has gained an international reputation as a back-pain specialist, a diagnostician and a pioneer in the treatment of many disorders, including piriformis syndrome, scoliosis, osteoporosis and rotator cuff tear. He has authored more than 90 academic journal articles and 10 books.
A past president of the New York Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Dr. Fishman is currently an Assistant Clinical Professor at Columbia Medical School. He has recently published an innovative book about electrodiagnostic testing, published by Springer, and the book on yoga cures Healing Yoga. His books on osteoarthritis and osteoporosis guide the workshops he teaches nationally and internationally.
Dr. Fishman studied yoga in India with BKS Iyengar, uses it in his rehabilitation practice and has written extensively about yoga as an adjunct to medical treatment.
In this Episode, We Discuss…
- How to use yoga to address issues related to lower back pain.
- Research around how to use yoga for piriformis syndrome
- How yoga treatment has positively affected symptoms related to scoliosis
- How sirsasana (headstand) is a treatment for rotator cuff syndrome
- How Loren’s research has revealed that yoga can increase bone marrow density in individuals with osteoporosis
- A yoga treatment for restless leg syndrome
- And more radical ways to use yoga to address common health issues.