What is Embodied Philosophy?
Embodied Philosophy (EP) is a school of interdisciplinary, contemplative education that bridges the gap between historical, text-based scholarship and the embodied practices that arise from contemplative texts and traditions. We strive to balance an appreciation for the variety of ways that these embodied practices have been adapted and changed to fit the modern era, alongside an awareness of the need for greater depth, cultural sensitivity, and spiritually-informed citizenship.
In a cultural climate exhibiting increasing levels of anxiety and depression, stress and alienation, hyper-vigilance, and divisive rhetoric, EP recognizes the need for what we call embodied philosophical living. This is not philosophy of the intellect alone but is an integrated, living wisdom. Highlighting yoga, dharmic, and esoteric traditions, we seek to disseminate knowledge, practices, rituals, and modes of living that actualize liberating patterns of thought and behavior. These new patterns break us out of the habits that continuously cause pain and suffering and reorient us in empowering ways. EP aims to nourish lives at the physiological, psychological, and spiritual levels by making accessible and available the wisdom that has transformed lives for thousands of years.
We are looking for a skilled Managing Editor to oversee Embodied Philosophy’s ongoing programming and publishing operations. You will be reporting to the Editorial Director and supervise writers, editors and other project and administrative staff. We are looking for someone with a capacity to write and edit skillfully at both popular and scholarly levels, and who has extensive knowledge of contemplative traditions and other topics in our editorial scope. You will be the best fit for this role if you combine the practical focus of an operations manager with skills in writing, editing and working with audio and video media projects. You will be expected to suggest ideas for articles, stories, podcasts, courses and other projects, and oversee their path to publication. You will have excellent organizational and leadership skills as well as a unique problem-solving ability.
Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and manage all daily editorial and programming operations
- Hire, coach and supervise personnel
- Collaborate with Editorial Director to determine content and topics
- Coordinate editorial and programming publications and meetings
- Plan and approve assignments for writers, editors, and other staff
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for writers, editors, content creators, designers, etc.)
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit advertising copy
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Resolve issues as they arise
- Attend events on behalf of Embodied Philosophy or the Editorial Director, when necessary
- Flexibly adapt to the ever-evolving requirements of the role and the organization
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as managing editor or relevant role
- Exceptional ability in writing, copywriting and editing
- Proficiency in English
- Working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and SEO concepts
- Abilities in planning and coordinating people and operations
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and people abilities
- Reliability and efficiency
- Attention to detail
- At least BSc/BA in journalism or relevant field
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: First Name, Last Name, Job Title